Our Personal Injury Attorneys Are Here For You
At Milano Legal Group, our Houston personal injury attorneys are passionate about protecting those who need it most. We are advocates for victims who have been injured in preventable accidents that trace back to the negligence of others.
If you or a loved one has injuries from a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall accident, or another type of accident in Houston, we will work tirelessly to help you recover compensation for your injuries. We will support your legal and personal needs every step of the way. Start with a free, confidential case evaluation with our attorneys in Houston. Call (713) 489-4270 or contact us online today.
Why Hire Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers?
- We have a history of securing top-dollar settlements and jury verdicts for our clients. Our attorneys know exactly how to handle the civil justice process.
- We are experienced car accident lawyers who have taken and won cases involving car accidents, truck accidents and many other types of accidents in Texas.
- We practice frequent and honest communication with our clients. Our legal team in Houston is available 24/7. Initial consultations are always free.
- We use a hands-on approach to achieve every client’s unique case goals. Our lead attorney, Anthony Milano, is intimately involved with each case.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Do You Need to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston?
Hiring a personal injury attorney in Houston is one of the best things you can do for yourself as an injured accident victim. Handling your claim alone could lead to issues such as an insurance company taking advantage of you or missing an important step in the filing procedure. With a lawyer protecting your best interests, you can rest assured that you will not take a step in the wrong direction in the fight for financial compensation.
Your attorney will use aggressive tactics to force an insurance company to treat your case fairly and offer a fair settlement award. Your lawyer can also provide peace of mind by dealing with complicated legal matters on your behalf, such as filling out all the required claims paperwork and filing it with the correct county court by Texas’s deadline. You can focus on getting well while your lawyer handles the legal process for you.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law deals with negligence and the consequences of negligence. A personal injury claim is a way for an injured accident victim to become whole again by holding the negligent or at-fault party accountable. If someone else caused your accident in Houston, such as a distracted driver causing a car accident, that person may owe you compensation for your related losses. To recover this compensation, your side of the case will have to prove that the defendant owed you a duty of care, failed to uphold this duty and caused your accident. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you prove your case and achieve a fair financial outcome.
When Do I Need to Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston?
Here are a few situations that strongly indicate you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer in Houston immediately, before proceeding with your claim.
Cases involving serious injuries are often more complicated. The financial damages are higher, requiring them to be carefully documented to ensure you receive full reimbursement for your current and anticipated losses. Insurance companies want to pay you as little as possible, and will assign a large loss adjuster with extensive experience to handle your claim. Don’t risk settling for a lower than fair amount.
Insurance Company Acting in Bad Faith
Insurance companies are required by law to act in good faith to resolve personal injury claims, but that is not always the case. Some insurers engage in bad faith practices to avoid liability, such as failing to investigate a claim, causing unnecessary delays, denying a valid claim, changing the terms of the policy, and more. An attorney may be able to help you bring a separate claim against the insurance company if they act in bad faith, in addition to you personal injury claim.
Unsure of Your Case’s Value
An attorney with experience handling your type of claim, will know what types of damages you are entitled to and how to estimate your case’s value. They will protect your rights when the insurance company is pressuring you into a settlement for less, even if that means preparing and taking your case to trial.
Complex Areas of Law
Some personal injury cases can involve complex areas of the law. For example, if there are multiple at-fault parties, government entities are liable, vicarious liability, etc. You will likely need to draw on the experience of a legal professional who has a thorough knowledge of the applicable laws, and can guide you through each step of the case.
"They defended my rights very well."
"Highly professional and reliable. They explain to you with great care what you need to do at every stage and they know what to do during the case. They defended my rights very well. Thank you Milano Legal Group (Mr. and Mrs. Milano)."
The Most Common Types of Personal Injury Cases in Houston
At Milano Legal Group, our personal injury attorneys are passionate about their jobs. We have spent years continuing our educations and acquiring real hands-on experience in different subjects of personal injury law to benefit our clients. Today, we are proud to be a full-service personal injury law firm in Texas that can accept clients with many different types of cases – both common and uncommon.
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Other motor vehicle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Product liability incidents
- Workplace accidents
- Wrongful death
Our attorneys are knowledgeable about many types of personal injury cases. We have fought and won on behalf of clients with many different injuries and many types of cases. We can provide personalized legal services for you in Houston based on your specific type of claim. Learn more about how we can help you after a serious accident, life-changing injury or the death of a loved one. Contact us to request a free initial consultation.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
It can be important to pursue a personal injury claim for many reasons. Holding the negligent person accountable could mean preventing similar accidents in the future. It could also bring you a sense of justice and closure, so you can have the peace of mind to finally move forward. One of the main reasons plaintiffs come forward with claims, however, is for financial compensation. A successful suit against one or more defendants could yield compensation for several types of damages.
- Medical expenses
- Losses of income
- Property damages
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death damages
- Punitive damages
These are examples of common damages available during a Texas personal injury claim. Your exact list may look different depending on how the accident affected you. Itis difficult to calculate an average personal injury case value, as each case and client is unique. The potential value of your claim is something we can estimate as your attorneys at Milano Legal Group. We will review your damages and losses to help you determine your case’s value accurately. Then, we can help you demand maximum compensation from the defendant(s) using proven legal strategies. We settle most personal injury cases during pretrial conferences. We have the power to go to trial on your behalf, however, if necessary.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Houston?
If you were recently injured in an accident in Texas, act quickly to bring a claim against the negligent party. You do not have an unlimited amount of time in which to exercise your right to file a claim. If you wait until the statute of limitations on your case passes, you will lose the right to hold the negligent party accountable, in most cases.
Your deadline can vary according to the specific details of your case. However, for the most part, you will have two years from the date your accident occurred (or the date you discovered your injury) to file in Texas. You will have two years from the date of your loved one’s death to file a wrongful death claim. Speak to an attorney in Houston as soon as possible after an accident to avoid missing your time limit.
How Much Do Houston Personal Injury Attorneys Cost?
Most Houston personal injury attorneys will handle your case on a contingency fee basis. Which means you don’t have to pay upfront for representation, and legal fees will be taken directly from your settlement or verdict award. The average contingency fee is 33 percent. However, if you don’t win or receive compensation, you won’t owe the attorney any fees for their services. There is no risk to you, and you can have the peace of mind that the lawyer will fight tirelessly on your behalf to secure compensation.
What Should I Do if I’m Injured in Houston?
A personal injury accident is unexpected, and can turn your life upside down. It won’t be the first thought on your mind, but part of getting back to normal is protecting your legal rights immediately following the injury. Taking the following steps is critical if you later decide to bring a claim against the at fault party.
Take Notes, Gather Information
Write down the date and time of the accident, the events leading up to your injury, how it occurred, and who was involved. Ask each party involved for their contact and insurance information. Speak to witnesses, ask for contact details, and ask if you can take a recorded statement.
A successful personal injury lawsuit requires extensive documentation and evidence in support of your claim.
- Take photos and/or video of the scene of the accident, and its surroundings.
- Notify the police so an accident report can be filed.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to have your injuries on record.
Contact a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Today
The Milano Legal Group is here to help you and your family after a bad accident in Houston, Texas. Our local personal injury lawyers can investigate your accident, determine the at-fault party and help you bring a claim to damages. We can answer your questions and address your personal concerns along the way. You do not have to face a serious injury case alone. Contact our attorneys for a free consultation about how we can help you. Call (713) 489-4270 to speak to our Houston personal injury attorneys directly.
"Anthony is an amazing personal injury lawyer."
"Anthony is an amazing personal injury lawyer. He takes the time to make sure each and every one of his clients needs are taken care of. I HIGHLY recommend Anthony at the Milano Legal Group if you are in need of someone to fight for you and get the best possible outcome for your personal injury case."
Personal Injury Attorney FAQs
What does a personal injury lawyer do?
A Houston personal injury lawyer helps accident victims obtain compensation for their injuries. When you hire a personal injury attorney to represent you, he or she will take a series of actions on your behalf. Specifically, he or she will do the following:
(1) Determine who is responsible for your injury
The first step in the personal injury legal process is identifying the party or parties responsible for your injury. Depending on your unique situation, multiple parties may face liability for the harm you’ve suffered, and your lawyer will help you identify any person or entity who may have played a part in causing your injury.
(2) Build your legal case
After determining who may be responsible for your injury, your attorney will build your case. Depending on the circumstances of your unique situation, your attorney will then present this information to either the insurance company or the court. In order to build the strongest case possible on your behalf, your personal injury lawyer will take the following actions:
- Identify and gather evidence, including footage from the scene of your accident, police reports, eyewitness statements, and any other evidence that may be relevant to your case.
- Gather your medical billing statements and any documents that prove your injury-related expenses.
- Negotiate for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Take your case to trial if necessary.
(3) Prove your case
Finally, after your attorney identifies all liable parties and builds your case, he or she will work hard to prove to the court that the other party’s negligence caused your injury. To do this, your attorney must prove that:
- The other party owed you a duty of care.
- The other party breached or violated his or her duty of care.
- The other party’s breach caused your injury.
- You suffered damages due to your injury.
What damages are available in a personal injury claim?
Damage compensation is the sum of money the law imposes for a breach of some duty or a violation of some right. There are two primary categories of damages: compensatory damages and punitive damages. Compensatory damages, as the name suggests, are intended to compensate an injured person for loss or injury. Punitive damages, on the other hand, are awarded to punish certain types of egregious conduct. If your personal injury case succeeds, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation for several types of damages, including:
- Medical bills for the treatment of your injury, such as emergency care, surgery, medication, assistive devices, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages and earning capacity, including time you have missed at work and any work you may miss in the future due to long-term disability.
- Pain and suffering, such as loss of enjoyment of life, scarring and disfigurement, mental distress, and loss of companionship.
- Punitive damages if the court deems the other party’s actions to be outrageous.
How do I choose a personal injury attorney?
One of the first things you should do following an accident that results in injury is contact an attorney. However, not just any attorney will do. Rather, you should choose an experienced and knowledgeable accident-injury attorney. With the right Houston personal injury lawyer on your side, your odds of a successful outcome improve greatly. When deciding which personal injury law firm to hire, you should take the following steps:
- Choose a lawyer who practices personal injury law: Following an injury, you should choose an attorney who devotes a great deal of his or her practice to trying personal injury cases. Personal injury law is a complicated and specialized field, so picking an attorney who focuses the majority of his or her practice in this area can greatly improve your odds of success.
- Choose an attorney who has experience trying cases similar to yours: In order to increase your odds of a successful result, you should choose an attorney who has experience handling cases involving circumstances similar to yours. After explaining the facts of your case to your prospective attorney during your initial consultation, you should ask the attorney whether he or she has handled similar cases in the past.
- Choose an accident lawyer who isn’t afraid to go to trial: Most personal injury cases settle before they go to trial. And although the odds of going to trial are slim, your attorney should have the experience and knowledge needed to take your case to trial if necessary.
- Choose an attorney who has a track record of success: An attorney should never guarantee a successful result in your case. However, lawyers are allowed to share their past results with you. And although an accident lawyer’s past results can’t guarantee that your case will prevail, a long track record of successful outcomes is always a good indicator that you’ve found the right attorney.
- Choose an accident injury attorney who will give you references: Successful attorneys have long lists of happy clients who are ready and willing to sing their praises. Therefore, if the attorney you meet with has a track record of success, he or she should be more than happy to provide you with the contact information of some of his or her satisfied clients.
How long will it take to settle my personal injury case?
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you are entitled to file a personal injury claim to obtain financial compensation for your injury. Complex cases sometimes take several years to conclude, while simple cases can settle in a matter of weeks. However, estimating how long it may take for your case to settle is difficult without examining the circumstances of your unique situation. The amount of time it may take for your case to settle is dependent on a number of factors, including:
- The value of your personal injury case
- The seriousness of your injury
- The insurance companies involved
- The number of parties involved in your case
- The case load in your jurisdiction
When should I contact an attorney following an injury?
In Texas, there is a limited timeframe within which you can file a personal injury lawsuit. This timeframe is established by what is called the statute of limitations. Following an injury in Texas, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit to recover damages. When you fail to file a lawsuit within this period, you will be prevented from recovering damages related to your accident. Therefore, following an accident in Texas, you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
If I plan to settle, do I need to hire an attorney?
In many types of personal injury cases, either the person who was injured or the party who caused the accident has liability insurance. In many cases, the insurance company will offer the injured party a settlement. Unfortunately, however, insurance companies often try to settle claims for as little money as possible. Therefore, even if you plan to settle following an injury, you should hire an attorney to negotiate on your behalf. Without an attorney on your side, it will be difficult for you to accurately value your case. When you hire an experienced legal professional, however, you can rest assured that he or she will work hard to ensure that the other party provides you with fair compensation.